Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

Some Ride Pictures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Some Ride Pictures   Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 pm

This is Sheryl's 750 Honda RS Shadow ( Sportster Copy as it is known ). This picture was taken just west of Gleason on highway 190 South. We are taking a quick break.

I took another picture of Sheryl as we were about to leave. She isn't really Fat, the Jacket is too big for her. I should have gotten a small, it is a Mens Medium. They don't have those colors for Ladies. :no:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Our Bikes Just Before Our Ride Saturday   Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Guess I'll try just the picture address so you can see the whole picture without looking up the address and pasting it.

Sheryl's Honda and MY 1986 V-Max. I already posted it on Psycho World so maybe you have seen it.. dj

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/djfike/SAM_0216.jpg?t=1311013783

I flattened the rear tire on our ride just before we got home. That tire was a magnet for nails. It was almost new when it picked up its first nail last year. So I plugged it and rode it several times.

The time about 6 weeks ago I put the bike up and it had another nail in the tire. I checked it acouple of days later and it wasn't hardly losing any air. So I left it that way. It was holding air better than the front tire on my BMW and nothing was suppose to be wrong with that.

I even ran it up to 130 mph on a ride and everything was still fine. So Saturday we were just riding like normal, like nothing was wrong. I ran it up to 130 mph again and everything is ok. A little later a curve was comming up so I rolled it on to 115 mph and went through it.

That was about 2 miles from my house. As I slowed to around 75 the bike was feeling like I was on groved pavement. I know our pavement is breaking down but I suspected that wasn't what it was.

Slowing on the ramp was getting to be a handfull and the 2 right handers were squirrley too. But I made it under the Canopy and started dragging out my stuff to change the tire. The plug was still good but nothing left of the nail except the hole.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 am

Great pictures, I'd love to be able to get my wife a RS, especially now after your report.
It does look like her chain might be ready for adjustment.

The VMax still looks great, you have done a good job keeping it up.

Thanks DJ!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I know the Chain Looks like it Steve.   Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 am

From the old days I swear that chain is to loose. I go nuts checking my Zuki Motard too.

But if you measure from the bottom of the chain where it is hanging, then push it up to taunt it falls in spec with less than the 1-9/16 maxuim. For the Honda. Its between 1-1/2 and 2 inches for the Motard.

In the old days I use to do about 3/4 of an inch, but than came the long travel shocks and adjusters in between. You then had to sit on the bike to adjust the chain.

Anymore we have to read the book everytime to see which way they want it. With 6 bikes I can't remember from one to the other.

I re-adjusted her Handlebars, Mirrors and levers Saturday after she dumped it at about a 145 degree downhill corner. She may have hit the fork stop, I don't know but nothing looked right after her dump. It isn't like she hasn't seen it before but some stuff she just doesn't seem to learn.

Anyway when I get everything back to looking straight, I pushed the Handlebars up further than they had been and locked then down. Then I took it for a ride.

The bike felt better to me than it ever had before, it seemed to handle better and I felt more at home on it. The bike had more get-up and go to it too since I goated Sheryl into some high Gear Roll-ons the week before with my little KLR650 Kaw.

In her last run she ran it up to 85 on the speedo and I think that helped the bike run better. Anyway I think it is more fun to ride now. If it were mine, I think I would open more air holes in the box and see if they could set the FI to go with more air. I know I could if it were carbed.

Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:34 am

You know, after your comment about it being in adjustment and my looking closer, it does seem the countershaft sprocket it lower than I thought.

I forgot that it is fuel injected. I bet you are right, opening up the airbox a bit might help it a bit.

Fun stuff, mods are!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:16 pm

I don't know for sure anymore with my old eyes, I wouldn't put up much money that I was right. But it was recently checked and I couldn't find it to be out of spec.

I think opening the air box would help but she gets pretty close to 60 mpg and doesn't use all the engine now. But if it was mine, I'd open it up and maybe either drop a tooth up front or go up 2 or 3 on the back.

4 th gear will pull into the 80's and not much happens when you hit 5th on the RS. It would be nice if someone at Honda would give some help for this slug. :no:
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:19 am

DJ wrote:
I don't know for sure anymore with my old eyes, I wouldn't put up much money that I was right. But it was recently checked and I couldn't find it to be out of spec.

I think opening the air box would help but she gets pretty close to 60 mpg and doesn't use all the engine now. But if it was mine, I'd open it up and maybe either drop a tooth up front or go up 2 or 3 on the back.

4 th gear will pull into the 80's and not much happens when you hit 5th on the RS. It would be nice if someone at Honda would give some help for this slug. :no:

Some of the Honda VTwin 750's had the chain adjustment almost all the way to the back from new, making it really easy to put a slightly larger rear sprocket on there.

Sounds like her bike could really use it, I vote for you to try it and report back!!!

Fun stuff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:47 am

Over The weekend on our ride, I pulled over and told Sheryl to trade bikes, I was on the Suzuki 400. I didn't give her time to come up with an excuse or protest.

We rode about 20 miles before I wanted to trade back and pulled over. While riding her bike I gave it a pretty good workout and found the bike to have a wide spaced gearing. I pulled 50 out of 2nd gear and shifted out of 3rd at 60 mph.

One other time I ran the bike to past 80 mph in 4th then shifted to 5th and everything stayed about the same.

So after my ride I told Sheryl to treat 5th gear like a highway overdrive. Those nice two lanes we ride, I told her to stay in 4th gear and if a tighter curve comes up click it down to 3rd.

That will work pretty well but it really does need to be geared lower for low gear alone. It is too tall and many times in tight places you have to rev the engine and slip the clutch and that is the only bike we have that you have to do that.

I may have made a mistake by putting her on my Zuki, she had forgotten how much she liked it. She really liked the quickness of it compared to her bike too. She just rolled it on in 5th and it was gone, right on my butt as I was passing a pickup. It surprised her and me too. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 am

I dropped the front sprocket down 1 tooth on Sheryl's RS for her Birthday in October. It really helped Sheryl out a lot and she is doing a much better job of riding it now.

She really seems to like that bike and does a heck of a good job riding it. I have to ride the KLR650 really hard to put any distance on her down a tight curvey road. I can get away from her on the Motard, the V-Max and the BMW because they are so much quicker out of the turns then her bike.

She will also be starting the warm weather this year with a New Suzuki Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket that fits her. It is her Christmas present this year. And I bought myself one too.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 am

I'm glad to hear the gearing change made a positive difference! I still really like the looks of the 750, just seems right.

Thanks for posting up, GREAT to hear from you!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Ride Pictures   

Back to top Go down

Some Ride Pictures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1