Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

Hey Steve, Just Wondering..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Is the Honda Dealership still going or did it close? And did you ever take a ride on this Honda and if you did what did you think of it.

Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 am

Rob sold the dealership a month or so before he died. It is now owned my Anderson Ford and they are planning on moving the location to a new facility next to the Ford dealership.

Yes, I rode the DN-01 a couple of times, it is an attention grabber. And Honda has some huge discounts on them, I know one gentleman who bought one for $8500.00!

I installed a aftermarket windshield for him, took over an hour as I had to pull the whole front plastic off. Then we installed a aftermarket muffler because he wanted more sound, it's all good.

Fun machines, if you get a chance, ride one!

Thanks for posting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks Steve, Of course you know, I'm already bike poor, but for some reason the looks of that bike don't offend me like they did when they came out. Too bad the price wasn't $8500 when they came out, I'm sure they would have sold many more.

Our buddy Kirk seemed to like the one he sat on at Donelson Cycles better than a year and a half ago. He also liked the Monster 696.

Isn't that bike and the Smaller 700 touring Honda using the same engine? I know the touring bike is pretty quick, much faster than Sheryl's 750 RS. But Sheryl is learning how to ride better with a slower bike. In many cases now, she is better than the bike. I wouldn't be surprised if a different sprocket might be in her future.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 am

I think those engines are similar.

The DN-01 will probably end up like the Rune (and CBX) - a classic that did not do well when they first came out.

We'll be kicking ourselves for not buying them when they were cheap!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:37 am

I tried to like the Rune but I just don't like an extra large Motorcycle that doesn't look like a Motorcycle.

The CBX I liked right from the start and orded one from Earl's Cycle Center in Michigan Center, Michigan. But Honda kept pushing their relase date back until it was past when I needed the bike.

So I bought the XS-1100 Yamaha and when the CBX came in I got my buddy to buy it. I had several chances to ride the bike and I always liked it. My brother now has the bike.

The bigest problem with the CBX was Honda, the 1979 CBX was great, Honda took 15 horsepower out of the 1980 model and turned it into a dud.

Honda is good for building a bike that makes a big splash, then claiming the 1/4 mile times and top speeds. Then selling you something that won't come close to those figures. They did exactly the same thing with the V-65 Magna/Sabra.

They let the first CB-750 run for 2 years, 1969 and 1970 before they pulled the hp on them. Cheated my buddy Fisher this time when he bought a 1971 CB-750 thinking it would run just like my 1970 Honda but it wouldn't come close. They changed the Cam and never even told the Dealers.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:28 am

If you get a chance to ride a Rune, do it - it is an amazing machine.

My biggest beef with Honda was, it seemed, they tended to engineer everything right on the edge - if you modified them for more power, they blew.

Quality, they had quality, that is for sure.

And along the same lines, the 919 - seemed the first year was the fastest, then they slowed. They added a cat to the exhaust in 2005 I think, plus the suspension "improved" which added weight.

Ah, they are motorcycles, makes them all good. :D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey Steve, Just Wondering..   

Back to top Go down

Hey Steve, Just Wondering..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1