Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

Trip to the Strip

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Trip to the Strip   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 am

Planning on taking the FJ to the drag strip tonight.

I'd love to break a hundred in the 8th, never done that before.

My 919 would run 98 - no more. The FJ feels like it has more power, we'll see.

Another friend is supposed to take his FZ1, should be a good time.

Hope to post pics, timeslips and maybe a video.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to the Strip   Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:48 pm

I ran 102 for a best mph on my 1994 FZR-1000 Yamaha and it was gutless for lowend and midrange power. But when it hit 8000 rpms it was Kawasaki ZX-1100 fast. It would run right wth the Kaw once it hit 8000 to red line.

I never ran my FZ-1000 at the strip but it had a better low and midrange, plus a lot more power on the top end. So I would expect to run better times and mph on the FZ-1.

I took my FJ-1100 to the track one time and all it would do is spin the tire in 1st and 2nd gear. It spun the tire so hard in 2nd gear one time that I hit the rev limiter and shut the bike down. I thought I had blown the engine.

All I could do was turn in the low 8's... So when it was my turn to race I had dialed in a 8:10 so I got about a 1/2 second spot against the Kaw I was running.

Giving up on comming out hard I just left the lights like I would leave a stop sign in town. Just rolled out in 1st gear and shifted into 2nd gear at about 3000 rpms, then turned it on. The bike ran about a 7:50 doing it that way and with that Giant spot I really made Joe Rook's Kaw look bad even though I broke out badly.

The black guys from the shop had ridden up there to watch Joe run his bike and I thought everyone was racing so I signed up as soon as I got there. Sheryl and I rode up double.

Joe didn't ride his Kaw but put a lighter faster guy on it. So with my spot I blew this guy away and those guys couldn't get over how badly I beat this guy and joe's drag bike with wheelie bars and all.

I kept trying to explain that it was the spot that made it look so bad but these guys not being drag racers didn't seem to understand. 1985 was a good year for me and the FJ-1100.

By the time I was done with the bike it was rejetted, Super trap pipes and one tooth down up front. Nothing around here could touch it on the street, I never went back to the strip with it.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Trip to the Strip   Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Good 4-1, individual air cleaners/jetting, Dyna ignition and one down on the countershaft sprocket is supposed to make the FJ12's a low 10 second bike, with the right rider.

Quickest time for me was a 7.679 at 94.54MPH. I did run a few in the 95's, but that was all I was going to get.

We had fun, that's all that really matters.

Here is a launch -

And just past the tree -

Next to Tom's FZ1, he hit 99.5MPH

I can not decide what I want to do with the FJ. I'd like a water cooled fuel injected bike - I'd love to build a turbobike - so it may be time for a change soon....

The FJ is a heck of a sweet ride!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to the Strip   Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks DJ.

When Yamaha bumped the displacement, they also changed the gearing.

FJ1100 = 17/42

1984-85 FJ1200 = 17/41

1984-85 FJ1200 = 17/40

As you mentioned, they softened it for sport touring.

Hey, where did your post go Shocked

Back to top Go down
Thin Man

PostSubject: Re: Trip to the Strip   Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:56 am

Good for you and your Yamaha! Keepin' it real...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to the Strip   Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:04 pm

DJ wrote:
Thanks DJ.

When Yamaha bumped the displacement, they also changed the gearing.

FJ1100 = 17/42

1984-85 FJ1200 = 17/41

1984-85 FJ1200 = 17/40

As you mentioned, they softened it for sport touring.

Hey, where did your post go Shocked

Huh?? There were no FJ-1200's in 1984 or 1985 those were the FJ1100 years. 1986 was the first year for the FJ-1200 and the 1985 FJ-1100 was softer then the 1984 because they wanted to make sure their new V-Max was the hot Yamaha..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Whats Going On?   Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:06 pm

It posted my reply in the box where I quoted you.. ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip to the Strip   

Back to top Go down

Trip to the Strip
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1