Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Customer brought his bike in, a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600.

Complaint was that when he rode on the highway, after 15 minutes or so, the clutch would "go away".

Oh, and the engine was making a strange noise.

I rode the bike, heard the sound, a clicking when slowing.

Clutch is hydraulic, and the fluid looked new up top.

When bled, it looked brown and in need of a flush.

And it had air in the system.

Further diagnostics lead to a small oil leak - coming from the front pinion gear cover. Popped it off for a look - and found the pinion bearing was going out.

What it looks like was happening is that the bearing would heat up and cause the clutch slave cylinder, which is located right there by it, to overheat, causing the clutch issues.

If that bearing had totally failed, the rear wheel could of easily locked up. Along with dumping a lot of metal into the system.

We're tearing it down soon, we'll see what we find.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 am

hydraulic clutch, bleh!

at least it provides work for guys like you. a good thing.
but a clutch cable never leaks...... and an island, never cries.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:56 am

I've hired a new technician who knocked this job out in under a day, very impressive to say the least.

There is a VERY bright light at the end on the tunnel!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

motohorseman wrote:
I've hired a new technician who knocked this job out in under a day, very impressive to say the least.

There is a VERY bright light at the end on the tunnel!

under a day? whats the labor rate at your shop? even half a day could mean $400 bucks plus parts to fix a leaky hydraulic clutch?

more bikes should come cable ready!!!
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 pm

hacksaw wrote:

under a day? whats the labor rate at your shop? even half a day could mean $400 bucks plus parts to fix a leaky hydraulic clutch?

more bikes should come cable ready!!!

The motorcycle is a shaft drive bike.

Out of the engine there is a gear set to the drive shaft.

The bearing is a part of the gear set, and according to the manual, required removal of the engine to replace.

It was far more than just a simple repair to the hydraulic brake system.

Posted rate for warranty purposes is $80.00 per hour.

Hourly shop rates do not matter anymore, we quote by the job, not by how long it takes.

When I worked for another dealership, we had a small "Mom & Pop" shop that had a labor rate half of what our was.

And it took them three times longer to make the repairs than we took at the time -

Which was the better deal? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Kawasaki Clutch Problems   Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:28 pm

My 1973 H-1 500 Kawasaki clutch slipped when it was brand new. I could only get 110 mph out of it when it was brand new and even after rejetting and Denco pipes. It had all kinds of Motor but 110 was it.

So I went up a tooth on the front trying to get more top end. Took it out on the highway and ran it up 100 mph, then turned it on,,, the motor went higher but it stayed at 100 mph.

So I went to the dealer and bought heavy duty clutch springs, then went back to the highway and pulled 120 mph being a gear taller than stock.

My 1975 KX-250 Kaw's clutch went out in about 15 months.

We were warned not to drag race our 2000 Kawasaki ZX-12 R without up grading our clutch basket and I can't remember what else because I never up graded or drag raced it.

So a kawasaki having a clutch problem does not surprise me.. dj :suspect:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:11 pm

i have had 2 kawi long ago. not counting the rolling project machIII in my garage now.

i dont recall any clutch problems. i do think the over all quality of the bikes themselves was kinda junky.

i assumed the weak stock springs in the H-1 was a safety thing. those things would launch off a stop lite, or stall. one had to slip the clutch a little. but i dont even know what springs i had in there anyways. i bought mine used. pretty breathed on as well.
and i have no idea what the top speed was. no way i could see that blurrrrr of a speedoface much after 100mph. plus the speedos werent made any better than the rest of the bike. cheap shyt.
besides, the bikes were so lite, mine was a year before the tail box rear fenders. they were so lite, the bikes left the ground too often to maintain any real high speed. my god i went airborne a few times. manhole covers or frost heaves , whatever the bump.
i dumbed it down quick and bought a 400F honda. now that bike was a quality machine. still kinda small, but solid. i did some real riding on that baby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so   

Back to top Go down

Clutch goes away after 15 minutes or so
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1