Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

Be the Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Be the Build   Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:20 pm

We had a father and son come in the shop last week. I met the father a few years back, he had a Valkyrie and we rebuilt the carbs for him. He sold it, now his son, who is in the military, is in the market for his first new motorcycle.

His selection, the STAR Stryker, in Raven (Black)

Then he broke into the STAR accessory catalog and added mirrors, grips, windscreen, saddlebags, engine guards and more -

I'll try to document the bolt-on built for this young man -

The STAR Stryker

Quote :
Engine
Type 80-cubic-inch (1304cc) liquid-cooled V-twin; SOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
Bore x Stroke 100.0 x 83.0mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission
5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive
Belt
Chassis
Frame Steel double cradle
Suspension / Front Telescopic fork; 5.3-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; 3.9-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 320mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 310mm
Tires / Front 120/70-21M/C
Tires / Rear 210/40R18M/C
Wheels 5-spoke cast aluminum
Dimensions
Length 99.6 in
Width 33.9 in
Height 44.5 in
Seat Height 26.4 in
Wheelbase 68.9 in
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Fuel Economy 40.9 mpg
Estimated Range 160 Miles to Empty
Wet Weight 646 lb
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:41 am

You can thank Harley-Davidson for pretty much solidifying the bolt-on build up........

We recently did a VTX1800 from the frame up.

Still, everything bolted on.......

I hear you, but you know, it is what it is!
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Moving on with this project - Here are most of the accessories involved, with Yamastar's description:

Air Cushioned Metric Touring Grips by AVON (Black Anodized)
Air ride for your hands! The AVON Air Cushion grips feel great and are very functional. Manufactured in the USA with a special core bar that creates air pockets inside the grip body. These air pockets dampen vibrations, help eliminate the tingle in your hands, and softens the overall feel of the ride. The soft serrated texture on the grip surface helps you hold on to your bike with a no-slip confidence. The grips are finished off with only the best-6061 billet aluminum end caps and collars.

Boulevard™ Windshield
This 10-3/4” high** windscreen is made of tough 4.5mm polycarbonate with new generation Quantum™ Coating. Smoked shield and the option of chrome-plated or midnight black trim gives your Stryker unique styling while also deflecting wind from your chest area. Includes mounting hardware.

Rear Luggage Rack (Midnight)
Complete the look of the Stryker backrest with a matching luggage rack. Separate racks designed specifically for the Stryker tall and short accessory backrests to ensure a perfect fit. Chose the powder-coated midnight black version.

Fixed Mount Passenger Backrest (Midnight)
Lasers transform steel into a sculpted backrest worthy only of the sleek new Stryker. Available in short or tall passenger heights, and finished with either brilliant chrome plating or in rich, powder-coated midnight black.

Cruiselite® Custom Soft Saddlebags
Compression-molded detachable bags feature a synthetic leather finish with textured inserts, expandable from 1845 to 2711 cu. in. Maximum carrying weight limit is 7 lb. each.

Engine Guards (Midnight)
1” diameter steel tubing available in either brilliant chrome plating or in a rich, powder-coated midnight black version. Designed to complement the unique styling of the Stryker.

RAD III Teardrop Die-Cast Stem Mirrors by Arlen Ness (Black)
New larger version of the popular Arlen Ness RAD II Die-Cast Mirror but with increased reflective mirror area providing excellent visibilty.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 am

i think i saw those grips in a J&P mailer today.

and you are right about harley and the bolt ons. they do have there place.
but thats not building a bike.

i have done both. build from the frame up , and bolt stuff on.
the key to a good bolt on bike, is not to get carried away with it. especially a bike that is a "cruiser" special. or an oem custom.
adding to much crap to them makes them what they arent. may as well buy the star model with full fenders and whatever big seats and backrests and racks that already come with it

and if i may, Arlen Mess has completely lost his mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:54 pm

oh, and good luck getting the sgt stryker bike squared away in time for the kids return.
Back to top Go down
Hank the Crank

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

motohorseman wrote:
You can thank Harley-Davidson for pretty much solidifying the bolt-on build up........

Seldom see them, but.......bone stock Dynas and Sportsters look pretty good to me. My old MoCo 'Parts and Accessories' catalogs from the early '90s were 100+ pages for all models, and 12 pages of Screamin' Eagle parts for all models. Without 'bolt-on', would H-D be in business today?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 pm

i have a 2009 HD cat right here. 820 pages!!!!!
harley would be in existance, maybe quite diff than what we see today. star might not exist, not much of the "cruiser" market, nor companies like big dog or victory would be bandwagoning the "movement".

but my point isnt bolt on is in all cases a bad thing, only that bolt on is not building. lets not read more into it.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 am

Hank the Crank wrote:
motohorseman wrote:

Seldom see them, but.......bone stock Dynas and Sportsters look pretty good to me. My old MoCo 'Parts and Accessories' catalogs from the early '90s were 100+ pages for all models, and 12 pages of Screamin' Eagle parts for all models. Without 'bolt-on', would H-D be in business today?

I have to agree, I like the looks of the bone stock bikes as well.

And I also have to admit, I'd rather use a bolt on from the actual manufacturer as generally the fit and finish are superior to those of the aftermarket - generally.

Küryakyn put out enough pure garage to almost ruin the use of any aftermarket accessories for me.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: "WOW"   Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 am

Sheryl and I were checking out the bikes Saturday, first the Harleys, then across the street to the Hondas and Yamahas.

I saw one Honda I liked the looks of but it would have needed the Chrome wheels to go with the brightness of the rest of the bike. I liked the Red of the tank and fenders and the Chrome of the engine. It was of the Fury strain but not a Fury.

Then we looked at this big fat naked Yamaha and it was almost flawless to look at. The paint and the chrome looked perfect and the speedometer on the tank looked of the quality of a fine auto from the 1940s. I don't know that I would have enjoyed riding it but it was a beauty to look at..

Sitting behind was a the new Blue Styker with black flames and from that angle it looked very good except that angle shown up a very ugly cheap looking plastic around the Radiator. I sat on the bike and liked it, it felt good and the engine looked good too.

I didn't care for the gray wheels on it but I knew you could get chrome wheels for it because they had a Raider sitting there with the same wheels on it in Chrome. They also had the rotors chromed on the Raider so I felt there was hope of really making the Stryker striking to look at too.

So when we got home I got on the Yamaha site to check out the wheels, a solo seat and a fancy chrome rack to fit behind the solo seat instead of a passenger pad. Found the Rack first for $160 bucks, then off to find the wheels.

What!! Over $4000 bucks with Tax for two chrome wheels and the chrome belt sprocket with No Chrome Rotors and what are you going to do with those two ugly gray lower fork legs holding that high dollar chrome wheel??

That also didn't count the solo seat I would need or the rack I liked and the small fee I would be charged for the dealership to make these changes in wheels. The way I figure, with these changes and the cost of the bike and Tax it should come up to about $17,000 for this middleweight bike.

I think I would just run back across the street and buy a $17,000 Harley instead.. Thank You!! :face:

Front Wheel, Chrome

27D-F51C0-V0-00 $1,449.95

Rear Wheel, Chrome

5C7-F53S0-V1-00 $1,649.95

Rear Pulley (Inset Image), Chrome

5VN-F54E0-V0-00 $599.95

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 pm

they all gonna get ya one way or the other.
the cheaper the in, the more expensive the out.
and if you sell the bike a couple of years down the line, you are still gonna get valued at the msrp.
the bike is for kids that dont know any better. we all pay our dues growing up.
Back to top Go down
Hank the Crank

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 pm

hacksaw wrote:
...the bike is for kids that dont know any better. we all pay our dues growing up.

Good looking bike, and it's style is for anyone.......
I like what some of the younger riders are doing with H-D bikes, not afraid to change the 'status quo'....
The irreverent attitude toward the older established motorcycle crowd is quite refreshing.......
Hats off to the future of motorcycling........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

and how exactly would you know that?

the truth is you dont.
and if you did , it has nothing to do with wasting ones money.
buy a cheap bike and put double the money back into it in bolt ons?
thats dumb for any one of any age.
the kids i know, and i see lots of them chopping and cafe-ing jap and brit blkes, that aint into harleys, are building their own sleds out of cast off junks. they are decidely not bolting on thousands of dollars worth of "your fathers" crap accessories. big assed back rests and flatblack tribal Ness shyt is so yesterday, man!

harley is no doubt outselling the stryker with several of its "dark custom" models. many of those buyers are indeed young men.

Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 am

Hank the Crank wrote:

Good looking bike, and it's style is for anyone.......
I like what some of the younger riders are doing with H-D bikes, not afraid to change the 'status quo'....
The irreverent attitude toward the older established motorcycle crowd is quite refreshing.......
Hats off to the future of motorcycling........

Good points, as we are at a pivotal point in motorcycling. Times are about to change and what is going to be rising from the flames is yet to be seen.

The "irreverent attitude toward the older established motorcycle crowd" seems to apply to every generation, and to more than motorcycles, something that stikes closer to home the older I get....

I was talking to a guy from one of the larger Harley dealerships today, he also said the VRod was dead, out of production. And that the rumors of a watercooled Sportster are highly probably. He also was a huge fan of the XR1200R but admitted it was not a sales success, at least here in the midwest.

Anyway - back on track....

I've scheduled one of my technicians and my lead service writer to "build" the Stryker this morning, starting at 9:00AM CST.

Pictures coming soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: They all sound like Cartoon Characters to Me.   Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 am

( "Hank the Crank" )??? Who's next "Ricky The Racer", "Andy the Dandy", " Fast Eddie", "Boy George", "Louie the Loonie", "Bugs Bunny", "Mickey Mouse".

Nice of these new members joining us just to jump in with a thought or two when there might be a difference of Opinion on a Subject. Ricky, Andy, Eddie, George, Louie, Bugs and Mickey are on my side.. dj :face:

Last edited by DJ on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Looked At A New Harley FatBoy Yesterday   Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:53 pm

The new fatBoy really looked good in Black and some nice looking Chrome wheels. The Chrome wheels were an upgrade and cost extra. I asked Franky how much more the wheels were then the stock wheels. He said, $710 dollars.

I put this in this thread because of Steve saying Yamaha is doing what Harley has been doing for years. Well where does Yamaha get off charging well over $3000 for what Harley charges $710 for?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/images/2011-Motorcycles/photo_gallery/pg_soflstf_dom_bs_en_US_w1024.jpg
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:00 pm

It's finished - I just need to figure out what is wrong with my camera and try to get some decent pictures.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Hopefully your camera can fix that exhaust..Wink
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Fatfatboy wrote:

I'm surprised Yama, uh, STAR does not offer a $10,000.00 option for it.....

Laughing
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:08 am

The owner showed up to pick up the machine.

My lead service writer was able to get a picture of him and his machine.

Having just returned from two weeks of training with our military, he is ready for a ride.

I am honored to of been able to help with his bike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Click this Link to see All of the Picture   Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:54 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 pm

ujm wrote:
Fatfatboy wrote:

I'm surprised Yama, uh, STAR does not offer a $10,000.00 option for it.....

Laughing

$10 grand? Yeah,,Thats probably about what it would take to make that bike look good. ;)LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Be the Build   

Back to top Go down

Be the Build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1