Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

Enduro/dual sport?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Enduro/dual sport?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:03 am

For some reason I've been having the urge for a smaller bike and I'm thinking about maybe an enduro, dual sport for the up to date types, but I don't know much about them and the type of models out there.

I need something that is livable with my short 29" legs but from what I've seen most are huge tall.
I'm thinking used (cheap) so just going to a dealer is not always the best answer.

I want used becasuse of price but I don't want one thats going to need work. I just don't have time for it. Something newer but not brand new.

I've not rode one since I was a kid when I and had Yamaha 175 Enduro. Is there any more resent enduro's that have that type of seat heights or all they all pretty tall?

Any thoughts/suggestions.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I'll take a stroll down that isle tomorroow and see what's up.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

If you find something I could always do the "rail and ride". (Amtrak)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:16 am

Back to top Go down
Smoke-Dog

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am

OMG, I LOVE IT!!!
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 am

Fatfatboy wrote:
Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

If you find something I could always do the "rail and ride". (Amtrak)

Heck yeah!

And I'm sorry, we were so fricking busy I had no chance to make the stroll.

I'm going to though, I know I've seen some with lower seat heights - Hey, how about a VT750RS with knobbies! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:18 am

ujm wrote:

And I'm sorry, we were so fricking busy I had no chance to make the stroll.

No need to be sorry, man. I completly understand. My workload has been heavy also. Over 65 hours in this last week. One day I went in at 4:00 a.m. and didn't leave until 6:00 p.m. I aint complaining though. After last years crap its good to be busy again.

I'm not in any real big hurry anyways. I'm going to sell the trike to fund the purchase but I got to recover the seat first. I bought some material last night and hope to get it done this week but today I need to ride.

At the advice of others I've gone over to advriders and have saked them for some advice also. I'd like to check out a few dealers and see if I can pick up a used one.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 am

Fatfatboy wrote:

No need to be sorry, man. I completly understand. My workload has been heavy also. Over 65 hours in this last week. One day I went in at 4:00 a.m. and didn't leave until 6:00 p.m. I aint complaining though. After last years crap its good to be busy again.

I'm not in any real big hurry anyways. I'm going to sell the trike to fund the purchase but I got to recover the seat first. I bought some material last night and hope to get it done this week but today I need to ride.

At the advice of others I've gone over to advriders and have saked them for some advice also. I'd like to check out a few dealers and see if I can pick up a used one.

I'll keep my eyes open for a used one too, used is a rare find at a dealership right now. Our dealership is even scouring the internet looking for used anything!

I've got a 40 mile one way commute to work, and leave at 7:00AM. I'm thankful the nights I get back home before 8:00PM. We're rockin' busy, the season is here, no question.

Really glad to have work, really glad to hear you have been busy too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I went to look at a '97 DR350 today. Its got a 35" seat that I thought would be way to tall but after getting on it it sinks down enough that I can tip toe. If I was on a hill on a trail and got in a bind I'd probably drop it.

Its got headlight and a non-functioning tailight but I don't think its ever been licensed. No horn or blinkers either. The price seemed fair and it rode nice on his gravel road but I'm not sure if it could be licensed. The title doesn't say off-road only or some such but did have a * with a note saying it was excempt from milage. Not sure what that means?

He has two for sale. One is a 94 no title and the other is a 97 with title. I'm not sure, nor was he, which DR model it was (SE, S etc) and I'm not knowledged enough to know the dif.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2262369957.html

Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 am

Used is a GREAT way to go.

We sold a Kawasaki 250 to a new rider last night, it was tall, too tall for my bud fatx2.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:21 am

Seems like they are all to tall. I'm thinking that if I wan't something larger than a 250cc I may have to go to an old enduro like a DT 400 or something. Problem is, that I;ve seen so far, they are getting into the vintage pricing so if its in good shape they want as much as I can buy a new/newer 250.

Right now Suzuki has a deal going on and with rebates and such I've seen DR250's for about $2,300 new.

Today is the first Saturday I've had off work in a couple weeks and its crappy weather so I think I'll run over to Big St. Charles Motosports and JW Cycles and see what they have.

Maybe I'll get blessed and find an old enduro one of the native farm boys traded in for a four wheeler. That would be cool.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Fatfatboy wrote:
Seems like they are all to tall. I'm thinking that if I wan't something larger than a 250cc I may have to go to an old enduro like a DT 400 or something. Problem is, that I;ve seen so far, they are getting into the vintage pricing so if its in good shape they want as much as I can buy a new/newer 250.

Right now Suzuki has a deal going on and with rebates and such I've seen DR250's for about $2,300 new.

Today is the first Saturday I've had off work in a couple weeks and its crappy weather so I think I'll run over to Big St. Charles Motosports and JW Cycles and see what they have.

Maybe I'll get blessed and find an old enduro one of the native farm boys traded in for a four wheeler. That would be cool.

The Yamaha TW200 is a awesome machine, albeit slightly underpowered, it would be a blast.

One to consider
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enduro/dual sport?   

Back to top Go down

Enduro/dual sport?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1