Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Share | 

On the auction block

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: On the auction block   Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Well I've decided to put the trike up on the auction block. Spent the day cleaning it up . Then I had the wife and daughter follow me out on the highway so that I could put up some action shots with my ebay listing to show that it is a rider and not a yard ornament.

I'm already feeling a bit sad about selling it but I've decided to thin the heard. I'm just tired of sending checks to the DMV and the insurance man and I'd like to get a dual sport so somethings going to go.

After just one hour posted on ebay and its already got 4 viewers. I hope it sells well.

On another note the guy at the bike shop said that if I put the Concours back together he would like to buy it. Decisions, decisions....
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 am

Fatfatboy wrote:
Well I've decided to put the trike up on the auction block. Spent the day cleaning it up . Then I had the wife and daughter follow me out on the highway so that I could put up some action shots with my ebay listing to show that it is a rider and not a yard ornament.

I'm already feeling a bit sad about selling it but I've decided to thin the heard. I'm just tired of sending checks to the DMV and the insurance man and I'd like to get a dual sport so somethings going to go.

After just one hour posted on ebay and its already got 4 viewers. I hope it sells well.

On another note the guy at the bike shop said that if I put the Concours back together he would like to buy it. Decisions, decisions....

The trike has some good old Mad Max flavor to it, going to be interesting to see what it brings.

I can relate with the decision thing, whatever one you make will be the right one.

Thanks for posting, best of luck!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Well she sold, $2,425.00. First bike I've made money on since I sold my old chopper in 1999.

New owner is a 70 y.o. old biker that had to give up riding because of balance issue's but couldn't afford the Wing and Harley trikes.

Shipper suppose to come and get it some time this week.

Now,,the search is on for a dual sport.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:23 pm

$2425.00 is pretty good money in these times.

Nice to hear it went to a good home.

Can't wait to see what you buy next!
Back to top Go down
Hank the Crank

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 pm

Fatfatboy wrote:
....Now,,the search is on for a dual sport.

Fatfatboy......what did you have in mind for a 'dual sport'...?
......two up...?
......have been contemplating a 'dual sport' also...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Hank the Crank wrote:
Fatfatboy wrote:
....Now,,the search is on for a dual sport.

Fatfatboy......what did you have in mind for a 'dual sport'...?
......two up...?
......have been contemplating a 'dual sport' also...

Well after much research and contemplating I narrowed it down to either a Kawasaki KLR or a Yamaha XT. Going used of course. I discovered that all the dual sports that are not a 250 are way to tall for me and my stub legs.

The KLR's are liquid cooled and kick start only, unless I went with a Super Sherpa KL250. Its electric start and air cooled. The XT250's are electric start and air cooled. I prefer air cooled with electric start but kick only is not bad for these small bikes.

I looked at a a few KLR's near by but they were all in pretty rough shape and they were asking too much for what they were. The only XT's I could find were very new ones that would of cost more than I wanted to spend.

I was trying to stay under $2,000.00. Since I have not rode dirt in 26 years I figured it best to buy cheap first. If I want more later I can sell the cheap bike and not lose much.

I found a guy four hours away (Branson, Mo.) that had a 2002 KL250 Super Sherpa for $1600.00 and a 86 XT350 for $1300.00. Which was perfect in that I could compare the bikes side by side.
I thought that the XT350 would be to tall for me but the suspension was set soft so when I climbed on the suspension dropped enough that I could almost flat foot it. I took it for a spin and it just felt right. Good power, good brakes and started fairly easy. A blast to ride

I then took the KL250 for a spin and it felt underpowered and the brakes were kind of weak. It had to be reved up to get speed and had to be down shifted to climb hills. It felt light which is good if your doing a lot of trail riding but for street riding it was too light. It was windy and the wind was pushing me around. It also sat higher and had a very uncomfortable seat. Felt like a 2 x 8 covered in vinyl.

Both bikes were in really good condition and were well taken care of with very low miles (1700 on the KL250 and 2700 on the XT350) but it was easy to see that he XT350 was the better bike dispite it being 16 years older.

So I loaded the XT350 in the van and brought it home and have been commuting with it every since. At first it took 6-10 kicks to get her going but I ran some Seafoam through it and its been starting in three kicks in the morning and once warmed up usually starts first kick. So far I'm very pleased with it. And now that gas is $4.89 per gallon I'm really happy with 65 mpg.

Heres a pic of it when I brought it home.

I've since added a top case (J.C. Whitney $50. special) that I had laying around. It bolted right up with no mods to the bike. If I'm going to tight spaces it can be removed with a key so that all thats left is the mounting plate which can be used as a luggage rack.

Doing some off roading on my way home from work last night.

As for the two up I don't think this would be a good candidate for that unless its a small person on the back. If I'm taking the wife or daughter with me they would rather be on the Ultra or the Fatboy anyways.

Beings its only a 350 its not much of a highway bike but is plenty for back roads. I've had it up to 75 but it seems to like 55-60 mph better. Runs about 5500 rpms at that speed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:38 pm

BTW Hank,,What dual sport have you been looking for?
Back to top Go down
Hank the Crank

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Mostly interested in the KLRs....there are a lot of them here, as there are so many backroads and logging roads.
Haven't looked at much else yet......
Congrats on your XT.....good lookin scoot......Hank
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:30 am

Looks like a great bike there Kirk!

You know the routine, do the maintenance required ASAP (valve clearance inspection/adjustment). I'm sure Terry would be willing to help out.

I've owned a few 400's of the same basic design, and they all required a wonderful starting process. If you did not do one of the several steps exactly right, including holding your mouth just right, it would not start easily.

If all was good, and the earth and moon and everything else in the universe was in phase, one kick was all it would take.

Anyway, I bet that bike is high on the smiles per gallon!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:58 am

Hank,
Are you thinking 250 or 650?
The KLR 650's are popular around these parts. If I could fit one I'd gone that route but they are quite a bit bigger and heavier. I was on some tight, rocky, rough stuff yesterday and if I had the 650 I don't think I would of made it through without injury. But they are better on the roads and highways.

Steve,
As you know starting is a process. But as long as I do it right it starts without issue. Fortunatly I live on a big hill so on mornings when I'm lazy, like this morning, I just bump start it. After that it starts pretty easy as long as I let it warm up first. If I just start it, run down to the store and shut it off its a bear to start.

I ordered a manual for it and as soon as it shows up I'm going to do all the maintainence stuff. Right now I just check chain, tires and oil.
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Fatfatboy wrote:
Steve,
As you know starting is a process. But as long as I do it right it starts without issue. Fortunatly I live on a big hill so on mornings when I'm lazy, like this morning, I just bump start it. After that it starts pretty easy as long as I let it warm up first. If I just start it, run down to the store and shut it off its a bear to start.

I ordered a manual for it and as soon as it shows up I'm going to do all the maintainence stuff. Right now I just check chain, tires and oil.

I always thought the starting process helped build the connection between one and the machine. Added character to the bike. The powerband was extremely enjoyable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:41 pm

The "character" wasn't that great today. For some reason after a very rough workday it did not want to start. The fact that it got dumped on from all the rain might of had something to do with.

I gave it the usuall three kicks and on the third kick it bumbled but did not fire up. From then on it was kick, kick, kick, kick, etc, etc, etc. Stop for a breather, mess with the choke. Kick, kick, kick, etc, etc. Tried to bump start it on flat ground. Didn't work. Tried 1/4 throttle and did the kickin thing again. Bumbled then Nothing. Tried full throttle. Bunbled then Nothing

Finally after about 20 minutes I gave it a titsie tiny bit of throttle, kicked and it was game on. Let it warm up a bit rode home and shut it off. Waited a minute, kicked it and fired right up. Kinda strange.

Be glad when the manual comes in and I can do all the valve adjustments and such.

Back to top Go down
Smoke-Dog

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 am

Big bro got a dual sport!!! I have KX250 that i plan on converting to a supermoto so watch out!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:27 am

eeeewwww,,,That would be cool.

I've given some thought about getting some extra rims with some street tires that I could swap back and forth. Maybe later. Right now I'm just enjoying riding this sucker as is looking for some off road opportunities.

I found some trails in some woods not far from me that were fun to ride on. But the belong to the MO. Conservation,,,,,shhhh. Not suppose to ride on them but I couldn't resist.

There's a group on ADVrider that are having a dual sport ride coming up called Missouri Swinging Bridges Ride that sounds real cool. Sounds like a weekend of of fun. I might give it a swing if I can get my bike a good once over before it comes up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the auction block   

Back to top Go down

On the auction block
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1